Heat, smoke and flames can cause substantial damage to artworks
Factors that determine the extend of the damage:
- What has burned
- For how long
- The temperature – How hot did it get
- How close did the fire get to the painted surface
- What is the painting’s physical make up
- Has it been varnished
In case you were victim of such an unfortunate incident, do not try to fix the damage yourself.
- Document the scene with photographs, date and time
- Remove the affected works from the disaster area and store them in a safe environment.
- Do not attempt to touch or rub on the work.
- Leave it all unwrapped.
- Lean the painting at an angle face forward against the wall
Contact us +27 84 290 3315
Disaster Management – Damage Control – First Aid